Kale & Tempeh Bacon Stuffed Sweet Potatoes

It’s already November, which means it’s time for stuffing!  Every Thanksgiving, I heap piles of stuffing on my plate.   It is hands down my favorite side dish.  This year I will be skipping the turkey, and happily indulging in all my favorite sides.  Wahoo!  Since there are so many delicious alternatives to stuffing a Turkey, I wanted to celebrate the month by sharing with you some new weeknight recipes that are stuffed full of goodness. Happy gobbling!

My first stuffed recipe combines baked sweet potatoes and a delicious sautéed kale filling.  It doesn’t get healthier than that! It’s nice and hearty too, perfect for chilly fall nights.

Kale & Tempeh Bacon Stuffed Sweet Potatoes

4 large sweet potatoes

1-7 ounce package tempeh bacon

1 medium onion, chopped

4 cloves garlic, minced

1 large bunch of kale, finely chopped

Salt

Extra virgin olive oil for the pan

2 tablespoons vegan butter

1. Roast the sweet potatoes on a parchment covered sheet pan at 400 degrees F, for about an hour, or until very soft when poked with a fork.
  2. About 15 minutes before the potatoes are done, start the kale stuffing.  In a large skillet, drizzle a little olive oil.  Crumble the tempeh bacon and sauté until it is browned and a little crispy.  Remove from the pan and set aside.
  3. Add the chopped onion to the pan.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Saute until the onion is soft and beginning to brown.  Add in the garlic and cook until it is fragrant and starting to become golden in color.  Add in the kale and salt well.  Add the vegan butter at this time.  Toss filling together and cook until the kale is soft and wilted.  Add in the crispy tempeh bacon.
  4. Cut the sweet potatoes in half lengthwise.  Fill with kale stuffing and serve.

Note:  Kale can be very bitter if it doesn’t have enough salt or if it is under cooked.

About these ads

Tags:

Categories: Dinners

Join Veggie Amore for the Latest Updates

Subscribe to our RSS feed and social profiles to receive updates.

7 Comments on “Kale & Tempeh Bacon Stuffed Sweet Potatoes”

1. Sabrina Aird
    January 1, 2012 at 2:13 PM #

I think Grass Root should have this on the menu. I want to eat it…now!

2. January 2, 2012 at 1:59 AM #

Absolutly! That would be wonderful <3

3. March 15, 2012 at 12:24 AM #

YUM! This turned out so delicious!! I actually wound up making it as a sweet potato bowl b/c I didn’t quite half it right for stuffing.. will definitely be making this again:) great job!

• April 25, 2012 at 4:08 PM #

Thank you! It’s packed with all kinds of nutritious goodness, no matter how you eat it. Enjoy! :)

4. DeAnne
    April 18, 2012 at 3:01 AM #

This is one of my favorite recipes! It has such a nice balance of carbs, greens, and protein. It tastes delicious! This is something even meat lovers would love! I am a runner and this is a staple recipe when I carb load for races.

• April 25, 2012 at 4:05 PM #

Thanks DeAnne! I’m so glad you are enjoying this one! :)

5. July 9, 2012 at 4:37 PM #

this meal has become a staple in our home! i got creative with it while i was cleaning out the fridge- i stuffed a balsamic marinated portobello with the sweet potato/tempeh/spinach/ red peppers mixture and then topped it with dayia cheese & avocado- baked it for 20 minutes and it was fabulous! love how versatile it is && oh- so- delicious!